ISO 27001 certification achieved
We are delighted to announce that .IE has successfully completed ISO 27001 Certification. The ISO 27001 Certification is a globally recognised standard.
By achieving this certification .IE proves that the ISMS (Information Security Management System) implemented by .IE for the management and operation of the .ie top-level domain registry and for its IT network and security services – including supporting processes – has been certified according to ISO 27001.
A trusted organisation
As the national registry for .ie domain names, .IE provides a trusted pathway to the Internet for Irish people, communities and business. As part of maintaining that trust we achieved ISO 27001 security certification in April 2022.
ISO 27001 is the only certifiable international standard that ensures an organisation manages and mitigates its cyber security risks in an effective manner. It mandates a systematic approach to cyber security risk management including processes, technology and people that helps us protect and manage all our data. Fundamentally, it helps us identify and treat cyber security threats according to our risk appetite and tolerance.
“.IE was able to achieve certification thanks to the efforts of all employees and the mutual understanding between the teams. I am delighted and proud of the hard work the team undertook to achieve certification. The bottom line is that demonstrates that we take cyber security seriously and that we are doing the right things.”
Mick Begley, Chief Information Officer (CIO) at .IE
Benefits of structured and improved security processes
The benefits of the ISO 27001 certification include:
- It will protect us against security threats. The most obvious reason to certify to ISO 27001 is that it helps to defend against security threats. This includes both cyber criminals targeting us and data breaches caused by mistakes. ISO 27001’s framework ensures that we have the tools in place to strengthen our defences across the three pillars of cyber security: people, processes and technology.
- It helps us comply with regulations. ISO 27001 helps us demonstrate to third parties that we meet data protection requirements such as the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) as well the requirements of NIS 2019 (the EU Directive on Security of Network and Information Systems).
- It helps you trust us. ISO 27001 demonstrates that we take information security seriously.
With the ISO 27001 certification, the security processes implemented by .IE have been proven effective.
- .IE provides an efficient and secure Domain Name System (DNS).
- .IE provides a network service with high reliability and efficiency.
- .IE respects and complies with regulations and standards.
In an increasingly difficult cyber security environment, the challenge in the months and years ahead will be to monitor and continuously improve the process.